Share/Like This Post

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Sweet and Spicy Kielbasa

I got this recipe from a friend in my daughter's class, the original recipe calls for 1 cup of brown sugar but it was just way too sweet for my family with that much sugar, I cut the sugar by 2/3 and we LOVE this meal!!!
 Ingredients:
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup spicy mustard
1/4 cup dijon mustard
1/4 cup chicken stock
1 large onion, chopped
2 lbs smoked turkey kielbasa sausage (of course I use the low fat kind :)

Assembly:
Cut sausages into 2-inch lengths.  Combine brown sugar, mustards, stock, and onion in a crock-pot and stir well.  Add the cut sausages and stir to coat with the sauce.  Cover the crock-pot and cook on low-heat for 1.5 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally to re-coat the sausage with the sauce. 




This is such an easy meal, I usually serve it with cooked Kale and brown rice, we mix it all together and it is so yummy! You do not have to add the chicken stock, I do it to thin out the sauce a bit and to reduce the sweetness however the original recipe does not call for it at all.

For my Weight Watcher friends: The point count on this one differs because I often change the type of sausage I use. I am making this tonight with a low fat chicken sausage and it is 2 points per 2 ounces of meat so I usually eat about 4-5 ounces of the sausage which is about 4-5 points, the entire amount of sauce is 8 points I count do count the sauce as 2 points. I put a 1/2 cup of rice on my plate, add tons of kale (0 points) then add my sausage and spoon the sauce on top.  And my dinner is a total of 10 points, it is very filling and satisfying, the mix of sweet and savory here is perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment