Share/Like This Post

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Sweet and Sour Pork

Lately I have been making lots of Asian style dinners. I have found that they are easy to make gluten-free, which is good for me, also my husband seems to like anything as long as it's "Chinese food". Traditionally if you ordered this in a Chinese Restaurant, you would get little breaded, fried pork pieces, this is a much lighter version which I think is much better and 10 times healthier. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to pull this one off, however, it turned out great! After my son cleared his plate he pulled a stool over to the stove and ate all the pork out of the pan, leaving me nothing but sauce and veggies for leftovers, and I consider that a sign of a good meal!
Ingredients:
1 pound pork tenderloin, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 green bell pepper, diced large
1/2 red bell pepper, diced large
1/4 fresh pineapple, cubed
1/2 onion, diced large
1/2 cup water chestnuts, sliced
2 t canola oil
Seasons for pork: salt, pepper & garlic powder to taste

Sauce:
2/3 cup chicken stock
4 T soy sauce (I use gluten-free)
1 T ketchup
2 T brown sugar
1 t cornstarch
1/2 t garlic powder

Directions:

Whisk together chicken stock, soy sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, cornstarch and garlic powder and set aside.
Season cubed pork with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Heat oil over medium-high heat, add pork and let brown, try not to stir the pork for the first 2 to 3 minutes to allow pork to turn golden brown. Once it forms a golden brown crust begin to stir it around and cook through then remove from heat and cover to keep warm.

Next add the onion, cook for 2 minutes, then add red and green bell peppers, cook for 1-2 minutes, next add water chestnuts. Then turn heat to high and add sauce mixture, bring to a boil then reduce heat and let the sauce thicken, this will only take about 2-3 minutes. Add the pork back to the sauce/veggie mixture and cook for 3-5 minutes on low heat. Just before serving add the pineapple, you just want it to be warmed through, not cooked. Serve immediately over steamed rice.



1lb pork tenderloin trimmed and cut in 1 inch pieces,
Seasoned and cooked
Veggies cooked, I did moisten them with my Misto a couple times
Sauce thickens pretty quick...
And is delicious over rice!

Weight Watcher Friends: This was great and very low in points and very high in flavor! The pork, veggies, and sauce divided into 5 servings is 3 points each. I made 3 cups of cooked rice and served the sweet and sour pork on top which made it 6 points per serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment