Share/Like This Post

Friday, June 15, 2012

Honey Cashew Chicken


For my birthday last year my sister-in-law gave me subscriptions for Cooking Light and Rachel Ray. Both have been great! I love getting good ideas from them, testing things out and tweaking the recipes.When the June issue of Cooking Light came I was super excited because there were several recipes that looked great, I kept going back to this one several times to put it on my weekly menu but finally made it this week and it was delicious.  My husband complained because he doesn't like cashews, he whined a bit but then ate two plate fulls so I guess he got over it, my kids ate it up and were hunting for the cashews and were both clean-pate-clubbers. Hope you and your family enjoy this one too!

Ingredients:
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced thin then in strips
1/2 t salt
fresh cracked pepper to taste
1 T canola oil
2 cups broccoli florets
1 cup shelled edamame
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1 onion, sliced (I used a red one but it doesn't matter)
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1/3 cup unsalted cashews
1 T rice vinegar
2 T honey
2 T soy sauce (I use Tamari, gluten free)
Sriacha (hot chile sauce) to taste

Directions:
Heat wok over medium-high heat, add the oil, season chicken with salt and pepper then add to the wok. Cook on high until chicken pieces are browned and cook through. While that is cooking whisk together the rice vinegar, honey and soy (if you don't have kids and like a little spice go ahead and add some Sriacha about 1t-1T be careful it is really hot). Remove chicken cover with foil then add to the wok the broccoli, onion, garlic and bell pepper. Stir-fry for about 2-3 minutes then add the edamame, cook for 1 minute then add the chicken back in along with the cashews. Pour the sauce over the top and toss a few times to combine. Serve over rice or just eat it alone, delish!
I usually slice my veggies for my meals early in the day when my kids are having 'down time'

These are what you need for your sauce, whisk until the honey is no longer sticky

Slice the chicken thin, then in small pieces

Stir-fry the veggies

Then add back in the chicken and the sauce.

Weight Watcher Friends: This dinner is healthy, colorful and delicious you won't feel at all like you are 'cutting back' when eating this one. If you divide this into 4 servings each serving is 7 points. It is a lot of food, I served mine over 1/2 cup of rice and it was a 10 point dinner.
Source: Cooking Light June Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment