Share/Like This Post

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Spinach, Cheese and Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Rolls



A few weeks ago for my birthday we went to downtown Atlanta so see a comedy show, I wanted to eat at The Vortex, a famous place for great burgers in Altanta because even though I was born and raised here in Atlanta, I had never eaten at The Vortex. I had posted on Facebook that day to get suggestions from friends about what I should order, so many of my friends were shocked that I had never been to The Vortex! The real reason I had never been is because a burger isn't the food item that sends me to the moon, however a dinner with fresh spinach, cheese and sun dried tomatoes does! These chicken rolls have all the ingredients that make my heart sing. These were so yummy, I highly recommend that you try them!

Ingredients:
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced thin
2-3 cups fresh spinach, chopped
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not the kind in oil, I used the Trader Joes brand), chopped 
1/4 cup feta or goat cheese
2 T grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg white
1 T water
3 slices provolone or mozzarella cheese
Kosher Salt and Fresh cracked pepper, to taste

Directions:
Heat the oven to 375 degrees. If you bought larger chicken breast (which I always do because it's cheaper) go ahead and slice them in half and lay them flat on a cutting board. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Prepare the filling, in a bowl mix spinach, feta or goat cheese and sun-dried tomatoes.
I used feta because my husband hates goat cheese, but if I were to make these again I would use goat cheese because it's creamier and I love it melted.
Next, mix one egg white with 1T of water to make an egg wash for the tops of the chicken, the egg wash gives thema nice shine. Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray and make an assembly line to prepare rolls.
This is super easy, scoop a couple T of the mixture on each chicken breast like this...
Then roll up and place them in your dish, seam side down. Brush each with the egg wash mixture, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Place in the oven and cook for 25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Remove from the oven, top with the cheese slices and place back in the oven until the cheese is melted, no more than 5 minutes. Once they are out of the oven allow 5 minutes to cool, then remove from pan, place on a cutting board and slice. The juice in the bottom of the baking dish is delicious drizzled on top. Serve immediately, as chicken breast can dry out quickly.


Weight Watcher friends: These rolls have 5 points each. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment