Share/Like This Post

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Purple Cabbage with Bacon


Well the one thing about day light savings that makes me happy is that I can blog more! I refuse to take pictures of food I make when it's dark outside. The photos just don't turn out well, so even if I make something great I don't want to share it unless I can capture its beauty. 

I have been very busy at the yoga studio and a couple weeks ago I had surgery so I was grateful to all my amazing friends and neighbors who brought me meals and took my kids when I needed rest! I feel blessed beyond belief to have such an awesome group of friends. 

This recipe is one of my mom's she made it for us once and my husband and I both loved it. It is super easy so I am not sure why I don't make it more often. It goes great with a steak or pork. Tonight we had it with a filet, green beans and potatoes. 

Ingredients:
1 head purple cabbage
3 slices bacon
1/2 cup chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Chop the head of cabbage into bite-size pieces. In a large skillet cook the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon from the pan and allow it to cool and drain on a paper towel. Pour bacon grease into a bowl, reserve 2 Tablespoons bacon grease to put back into the pan, add the cabbage back to the pan. Add the chicken stock to the pan, cover and continue to cook for 5-7 minutes. We like our cabbage on the crunchy side so I only cook mine about 5 minutes. Crumble the cooked bacon and sprinkle on top then season with salt and pepper and serve warm. 

Really is such a beautiful food.
Mmmmm....bacon
Toss the cabbage in the bacon grease then add the stock
Cabbage with crumbled bacon





Weight Watcher Friends:
This recipe serves 7- people and has 2 points per serving. Each serving is 1 cup. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment