Share/Like This Post

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Zero-Point Vegetable Soup


I have been a Weight Watcher for over 10 years and have seen many recipes for 0-point Vegetable soup. I have made it so many times. I would always make it a little bit different but over the years I have perfected my recipe. One of the reasons I love it is because it is healthy, warm, hearty and filling without many points/calories. Before I was Lifetime I would make this on Sundays a couple of weeks during the month and snack on it when I was hungry. Now that I am Lifetime I just make it randomly when I am craving it. For those of you who aren't familiar with Weight Watchers just ignore this paragraph.

I have found that when I make too much of it I end up throwing it away, I know you can freeze it but I don't like it after it's been frozen. So for me this is the perfect portion. Also I do not like mushy vegetables which is why I give so many time lines and the order to the directions of this recipe. Once the vegetables get too soft I won't eat it.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup onion, diced
3/4 cup carrots, diced
1 small red potato, diced
2 cloves fresh garlic
1 & half cartons of Chicken Stock (48 oz)
1 14oz can diced tomatoes
1 ear fresh corn, kernels removed
1/2 cup peas (frozen)
1/2 cup baby Lima beans (frozen)
1 cup green beans (frozen)
1 zucchini, sliced
1 cup of cabbage, sliced thinly
2 t fresh lemon juice
1 t salt
fresh cracked pepper to taste
1 T fresh chopped parsley
1 t olive oil

Directions:
Heat a large pot over med-high heat, add the oil. Next add the onions, carrots and potatoes and cook for about 5 minutes then add the garlic allowing the vegetables to sweat and soften. Turn the heat to high and add the chicken stock, stirring and scraping the bits of vegetables off the bottom of the pot, cook on high for 10 minutes to allow the soup to simmer. Next add the tomatoes, corn, peas, Lima beans and green beans. Simmer for about 5 minutes then add salt, pepper, lemon juice and parsley. About 5 minutes prior to serving add the zucchini. At this point, taste and adjust salt, pepper as needed. To keep the cabbage crunchy I add the cabbage to the bowls before I ladle in the soup.

Diced veggies ready for the soup!



I like  crunchy cabbage so I finally found that this method keeps the cabbage from getting soggy.
Top the soup with more fresh parsley and a squeeze of fresh lemon for a fresh taste! My husband and kids like to melt mozzerella cheese over the top. 


No comments:

Post a Comment