Share/Like This Post

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Shrimp with Fresh Corn and Tomatoes


I have been a bad bad blogger lately. I have been so busy with kids, yoga, summer, swim team, house renovations... honestly the list goes on and on! The other big thing that has had me cooking less is I gave my husband a Big Green Egg for Father's Day this year and he has been making some great stuff which has really reduced my time in the kitchen. I must admit it has been quite nice. Don't get me wrong, I love to cook but it is really nice to share the job sometimes!

My summer veggies from my garden are great this year! I have so many grape tomatoes that I am going to be eating them for a while and I need lots of recipes to use them up. Today, as I was thinking about a recipe to use these tomatoes, I remembered that we used to eat at this restaurant at North Point Mall years ago and I think it was called Mick's but I'm not completely sure about that. It was on the bottom level near the parking deck as you enter the mall. They had a dish called Corn and Tomato Linguine that was out of this world! My mom and I used to make it all the time. Even though I don't eat pasta anymore I still think about this dish. It is garlicky and flavorful and oh so good! So I decided to put my own twist on the corn and tomato linguine without the pasta today and this is what I came up with...it was pretty good!

Ingredients:
2 cups fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 ears of corn, grilled then removed from cob
2 cups grape tomatoes, sliced
1/2 cup Vidalia onion, diced
2 T shallots, diced
4-6 cloves garlic, sliced
2 T fresh chopped parsley
1/2 cup chicken stock
2 T olive oil
2 T butter
1-2 t kosher salt, to taste
Paprika to taste
fresh cracked pepper
Fresh grated Parmesan cheese to taste

Directions:
Heat a nonstick skillet over high heat. Add 1 T olive oil and 1 T butter. Once they begin to bubble add your shrimp season with salt and pepper and a few shakes of paprika. Saute until the shrimp is cooked through. Remove shrimp and set on plate.

Add remaining butter and olive oil then add onion, shallots and garlic. Saute for 3-5 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Next turn the heat to high and add the chicken stock and bring to boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 4 minutes.

Next, add the corn, combine well then add the tomatoes, cook for 1-2 minutes then add the shrimp back to the dish. Finally, add the parsley stir to combine then remove from pan and serve. Taste for flavor, you may need to add more salt here. Then top with fresh grated Parmesan and serve hot.

First we grilled our corn on the Big Green Egg

Then I prepped all my veggies

And prepped our local shrimp.

Ready for the shrimp, parsley and parmesan.

My hubby is stealing a bite as I am taking pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment