Share/Like This Post

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Turkey Sausage, Kale and Bean soup


There such a chill in the air today with the wind and the rain it was the perfect day for hot soup and hot tea. This one hit the spot!



Ingredients:
1 t oil
1 package of light turkey sausage (kielbasa) sliced into rounds
1 onion, diced
5-8 baby carrots, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
two 32oz cartons chicken stock (NOT broth)
1 can beans (I usually use pinto)
2 cups of chopped Kale
Salt and fresh cracked Pepper to taste

 

Heat the oil in a nonstick pan, add the sausage cook on each side for about 2-3 minutes, I like for the sausage to get browned on each side. Then add the onions, carrots and combine for about 4 minutes, add garlic and cook for another minute.  Then add the stock and be sure to scrape the good bits off the bottom of the pan. Add the beans, bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer for about 10 minutes right before you are ready to eat, add the kale and cook for 2-3 minutes.

Weight Watcher friends: 1 cup of soup is 3 points so  a large bowl (of 2 cups) is only 6 points. I add extra kale to my  bowl because I love how hardy it makes it!



My kids and husband sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top of theirs :)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! I am always looking for things to put in my Dutch oven or Crock pot. I'll have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O MY YUMMY!! I made this for my family tonight! I made a few minor tweeks to it since I do not like kielbasa or beans...I used Publix greenwise Chicken sausage to keep it low fat and it was absolutely DELICIOUS!! I also added Ditalini pasta to my kids at the end!! LOVED IT!! Lisa Morris

    ReplyDelete