Share/Like This Post

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Mexican Chicken Soup - Crock Pot



My kids have started swim team which means for the next month I will leave my house at 4:45 and not get back until 6:15. In order to get the kids bathed and fed I have to be quick so I am planning to use the corck pot a lot (even though I usually hate it-I love it for it's ease of use I just think evverything I make in the crock pot is mushy!) However my girlfriend Catey makes her Chicken Tortilla Soup like this so I wanted to try it! It was great and not mushy at all! I called this Mexican Chicken Soup because I already posted my recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup here.  This is more like a stew, it was great, so thanks Catey!!

I have a great recipe to post for Cinco de Mayo but I hurt my back so haven't made it yet...I hope to feel better tomorrow so I can get it posted for your celebrations!

Ingredients:
1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can beans (whatever you like)
1 cup corn
1 cup fresh salsa
32oz chicken stock
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch cilantro

Optional toppings:
Avacado
Lime
Cheese
Tortialla chips

Directions:
I put the chicken in my crock pot still frozen and litterally dumped the rest of the ingredients on top leaving the cilantro in a small bunch on top so I could remove it after cooking. Turn the crock pot on low and cook for 6-8 hours. After it is done cooking, remove the cilantro and toss it then shred the chicken and serve. Could that get any easier??? Nope I don't think so!
This is right before I put the lid on and cooked it all day.
Dished out and ready to eat! I topped mine with fresh cilantro and 2 slices of avacado

Weight Watcher Friends: This makes 6 servings. Each serving is 1.5 cups and has 5 point each. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment