Share/Like This Post

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Quinoa


Quinoa, you say like this Keen-Wah, it's a delicious little seed, seems like a grain but it's actually a seed. If you want to learn more about it and it's amazing health benefits click here. I love it as an alternative to rice and pasta because it is super healthy and it cooks so fast! I first tried quiona for my family about 2 years ago, I made it with water and we did not like it. Then my friend Catey told me to cook it in broth or stock and that was the ticket. Really it makes a huge difference, a step I would highly recommend not skipping. There are tons of things you can do with quinoa, eat it warm or cold, in salads or just eat it alone. This recipe is very basic but it's my favorite way to eat it.

Ingredients:
1 cup Quinoa
2 cups chicken or beef stock
1 t olive oil
1/2 cup onion, diced small
1/3 cup carrots, diced small
1 T Fresh parsley, chopped

Directions:
Add quinoa and chicken stock to a pot, turn the heat on and bring to boil, then cover and turn the heat to low. Cook for about 15 minutes until the stock has been absorbed. Then fluff with a fork and remove from the pot. Add the oil, onion and carrot to the pot and saute for about 5 minutes until the onion and carrot begin to soften. Add the quinoa back in and stir to combine then add the parsley and serve.

I love Trader Joe's!

It is a beautiful little seed...

Did I mention that it cooks so fast???
These just add extra flavor and texture.
If you haven't tried it, you should!


Weight Watcher Friends: This makes four 1 cup servings, each has 5 points.

No comments:

Post a Comment