Share/Like This Post

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Greek Chicken Pasta Toss


We were out of town last week and I am heading to New York this weekend for a girls trip of eating at great restaurants and lots of shopping, with my mom, aunt and cousins. So I don't have much in the fridge this week. I was trying to not make a trip to the store and just use what I had on hand. So all day I was staring at these two red bell peppers and some bacon in my fridge thinking 'what the heck am I going to make for dinner?' Around 5pm when I was getting pretty hungry, this somehow all came together...and we ate every bit of it. But about half way through I had a feeling this was going to turn out just fine, so I grabbed my camera. I was feeling so proud that I used things I had in the pantry and freezer to pull off something healthy and delicious. Funny thing is at that momemnt my husband came to the table took one look at the dinner and said, "what is that?" I said,  "ummmm, Greek Chicken Pasta Toss" (completely making that up) he made a weird face like he wasn't too sure, then he looked at me and said "you know I don't like olives." So I said (in my OMG-is-this-guy-for-real-after-all-I-did-today-and-created-this-dinner-out-of-thin-air tone) "then don't eat!" About half way through dinner he looked at me and said, "wow, this is really good!" And I felt some serious satisfaction, for a job well done! Both of my kids loved it and ended up eat the rest of the olives in the can, stuffing them each with feta cheese, YUM!

Ingredients:
1 large onion, sliced
1 large red bell pepper, sliced
4 strips bacon, chopped
2 chicken thighs, diced
3 T Greek Dressing
1/2 cup chicken stock
10-12 Olives
1/4 cup feta cheese
3 cups cooked whole grain pasta
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:
Heat a non-stick skillet to medium high. Add bacon and cook until done, remove bacon from the pan and place on a paper towel to drain. Add the diced chicken thighs to the pan, there should be just enough bacon grease to cook the chicken without it sticking to the pan and it will add flavor to the meal. Cook for 4-5 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from pan and cover. Add the the onions and red bell peppers and saute for 2-3 minutes. Then turn the heat to high and add the chicken stock, bringing to a quick boil and scraping the bits of chicken and bacon from the bottom of the pan. After about a minute add the 3 T of Greek dressing stirring constantly to combine with the stock. At this point you may need to add a bit more stock just a tablespoon at a time to get to your desired consistency and flavor.  Finally add the pasta to the serving dish then add the onion, pepper, sauce, top with chicken, bacon, olives and feta. Toss together and serve.

Saute the onions and peppers quickly, it's better if they are still a bit crisp
I love this dressing from Trader Joes
This is how the sauce should look, a light and delicious
I used Rotini but you could use whatever you have in your pantry

Pour the veggies and sauce on top of the pasta

Top with bacon and chicken

Then add the feta and olives and toss together!

Weight Watcher Friends: This dish serves 4 the points value for mine was 9 points per serving. Obviously this will depend on the Greek dressing you use. I used one from Trader Joes it added 4 points to the total dish so if you just use chicken stock and Greek seasoning then it would be 1 point less.

No comments:

Post a Comment