Share/Like This Post

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Thai Peanut Chicken Stir-Fry


This recipe has been a work in progress for the past few months, it is a mixture of about 3 different recipes I found, combined and added my own twist. At first it had way too much peanut butter flavor for my family (not really for me, there could never be too much peanut butter for me!) But my daughter said it tasted just like a peanut butter sandwich the first time I made it!  That was not exactly what I was going for :) After making it a couple more times I finally have a recipe I am excited to share with you all! I have to say this one takes a little bit of work but the end result is so worth it! I have broken the ingredients down into parts to make it easier to prepare.

Ingredients:

Chicken & Marinade:
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced thin
1 T Sweet Thai Chili Sauce (I use Trader Joes)
2 T fresh lime juice
2 T Soy Sauce (I use Tamari, Gluten Free)
1 t sesame oil
1 T fresh garlic, minced
2 t fresh ginger, minced or grated
1 t canola oil for frying in the wok

Sauce Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups Chicken Stock (I have been using the Kroger brand, it's more than $1.00 cheaper per box)
2 T Natural Crunchy Peanut Butter
1 T Sweet Thai Chili Sauce (I use Trader Joes)
2 T Honey
2 T Soy Sauce (I use Tamari Gluten Free)
2 t fresh ginger, minced
1 T fresh garlic, minced

Veggies and Noodles:
1 bunch of spring onions, slice the green and whites
1 cup matchstick carrots (I just cut baby carrots into strips)
1 package broccoli slaw (in the produce section)
2 cups rice noodles, cooked

Topping:
1 Lime
2 T fresh cilantro chopped

Directions:
First step is to get the chicken marinating. Take the ingredients for the marinade; the chili sauce, soy sauce, lime juice and sesame oil, combine them in a bowl and mix well. Next, pour the marinade over the chicken strips. I let this all marinate in a plastic bag. This can be for as short as 20 minutes or as long as 8 hours.
Next, make your sauce; in a small sauce pan over low heat combine the sauce ingredients, stock, peanut butter, chili sauce, honey, soy sauce. Whisk together until smooth then add the garlic and ginger. Let simmer on low heat for at least 10 minutes.
(This picture is from the 1st time I made this and this sauce has 3 T of Peanut butter yours should be a little lighter than this with only 2T but it still gives you an idea)
Heat your wok (or large non-stick skillet) until very hot, add oil then the chicken, saute on high until cooked through. Tip: when you 1st add the chicken just pour it in and let sit for at least 1-2 minutes to ensure the meat doesn't tear when you try to move it around the wok/pan.  Once the chicken is cooked move to a plate and cover it with foil.
Using the same pan add the carrots and broccoli slaw. Stir fry for about 2 minutes. I like my veggies slightly cooked and still crisp. (If you feel you want to add more oil for the veggies you can always use a splash of chicken stock to keep the calories low.) At this point I turn the heat to low and add the sauce and chicken back to the wok mix, next add in the green onions. Remove from the heat, squeeze the fresh lime juice and top with cilantro. Serve immediately!
The whole wok full!

Weight Watcher Friends: This makes 5 servings each one has 7 points. Delicious!!

3 comments:

  1. Finally! A simple, but outstanding peanut sauce\satay recipe! I'm in your camp and think peanut butter rocks but I too have spent ages (compared to the life span of a fruit fly) trying to find that elusive recipe that's not too time consuming, expensive or too peanut buttery (so it's like I bought it at a food court) with just a bit of 'Zing' to it. Thanks for making the effort to post your recipe - much appreciated! Some of Christchurch will be very happy now (well, a really tiny percentage as I don't know that many people).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this recipe last week and loved it. I did not have rice noodles so just substituted whole grain spaghetti with the noodles broken in half. I used smooth Maranatha organic peanut butter for the sauce and it was perfect. To add the crunch in I sprinkled crushed lightly salted Planter's peanuts on top.

    Loved it. Thank you for posting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was AWESOME. I stuck with the original 3 tablespoons of peanut butter because I love it, which made it 8pts for 5 servings. WOW. Unbelievable taste, very healthy portion. I think i'll cut down a little on the ginger next time which is just a personal preference. But thank you, keep the recipes with WW pts coming!

    ReplyDelete