Share/Like This Post

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Greek Chicken Pita Salad

I made this last night and it was SO good!!!! This salad is awesome, very light and super good! I made my salad and marinaded my chicken around 2pm. Then when it was time to cook the chicken it was super easy because the salad was ready except for the chicken. I made the dressing while the chicken was cooking so the prep time took me about 15 mins and then again at meal time it took another 15 mins. So it seemed like an easy dinner!

Ingredients:
1lb of thin sliced chicken breast
1 whole lemon
1 cup grape tomato halves
1 cucumber sliced (I like the seedless kind with the skin)
1/2 cup olives (black or kalamata)
1/2 red onion sliced thin
1 cup of low fat pita chips
5 cups lettuce (mix it up, I used Romain and spinach)
1/2 cup red win vinegar
1 t chopped garlic
3 T olive oil
feta cheese
salt & pepper


In a small bowl combine garlic, red wine vinegar salt, pepper and 2 t olive oil and some zest from your lemon (I added some fresh parsley because I had it on hand but you could add some dry Mediterranean spices), whisk well pour into a plastic bag and add chicken, and toss around to make sure the chicken is coated. Put in fridge to marinate for at least an hour but can be as long as you want.

In a large salad bowl  add lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion & olives.

To make dressing:
Use the juice of the lemon, should be about 3-4 T and some zest. Add 1-2 T of olive oil and whisk vigorously. I added 2 t of water, salt & pepper and whisked again. set aside until right before you eat.

In a large skillet on high heat add the chicken breast, mine were wet from the marinade so I did not add extra oil. Brown on both sides to make sure it is cooked through about 3-4 mins per side (depends on how thick your chicken is). Place on a cutting board and slice.

Right before you are ready to eat add the pita chips to the salad toss with the dressing, toss well. Divide into 4 salad bowls and add the cooked chicken and the feta cheese to each bowl.


For my WW friends: Each serving should have between 6-7 points with 1 T of feta, you will have to adjust the points if you use more feta or if you add more dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment