Share/Like This Post

Monday, April 11, 2011

Veggie Ravioli and Turkey Sausage Ravioli

I always say, I am NOT a short order cook!!! I make one meal and if you don't like it, then don't eat it...but this is one that I did make a variation for my kids and husband, because even though I am not a short order cook I usually do make a few things each night and try to incorporate things that we all enjoy.
But this night I wanted a pasta and a bunch of veggies but I also knew the rest of the fam would want some meat :)
I bought a package of small cheese ravioli from Trader Joes and cooked the whole package
I also made one pot of a homemade marinara sauce (you could use a jar, I just prefer my own)

My marinara sauce:
3/4 tablespoon olive oil
1 whole onion diced small
3-4 cloves garlic (sliced or diced whichever you prefer)
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
fresh basil and parsley (as much as you like)
A few shakes of Garlic Garlic & Onion Onion
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat skillet and saute the onion for a min or 2 then add garlic (careful not to burn).  Add tomatoes, let simmer for about 5-7 mins then add salt, pepper and herbs.

Vegetable Ravioli:
1 zucchini (cut in rounds then quartered)
1 small squash (cut in rounds then quartered)
5 baby Bella mushrooms (sliced)
1 large handful of fresh spinach
1 1/2 cups of cooked cheese ravioli
2 cups marinara

Once the pasta was cooked I used a round pie dish for my ravioli. I put 1 1/2 cups of the cooked ravioli all the raw veggies and 2 cups of sauce and lightly tossed them. I sprinkled the top with a 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese and fresh Parm. Place the pie dish in the oven at 350 for about 20-25 minutes. Cook until cheese melts and the veggies are al dente. I ate this with a big salad and divided the pie dish by 4 servings, each serving had between 6-7 points.


For my husband and kids I cooked up a package of turkey kielbasa sausage and cut them in small slices and cooked them in a frying pan. I added sliced mushrooms and sauteed them with the sausage. I used a glass casserole dish and added the meat & mushrooms, the rest of the sauce and cooked ravioli, lightly tossed it all together and covered it with mozzarella, fresh Parm and baked it at 350 for 30 minutes until the cheese was melted and the dish was bubbly!

Everyone was happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment