Share/Like This Post

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Single Skillet Chicken and Rice

Sounds simple right? Actually it was really easy, just do your chopping, have your ingredients handy and you can make this from start to finish in less than 30 minutes and only have to wash one pan. Last week I was trying to make dinner and 'use what I had' in the house and I had no plan. After looking in my fridge and finding a package of chicken breasts, 3/4 a package of sliced mushrooms, 3 slices of bacon, some beef stock and a shallot I came up with this, and it was really good. And anytime I can throw some bacon into dinner I get extra credit from my pork loving husband!

Ingredients:
3 slices Bacon
2 chicken breasts, sliced in half horizontally so they are thin
2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
Splash of white wine (about a 1/4 cup)
1/2 cup beef stock
1 t cornstarch mixed with 2 T warm water
1 t butter
1 shallot, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 onion, sliced
2 cups Brown rice
1 cup green peas (I used frozen)


Directions:
Cook bacon until crisp, move to a paper towel and drain pan leaving a small amount of bacon grease to cook the chicken.

Season the chicken as you would like (I used salt, pepper, paprika) then add to the pan where you cooked the bacon, cook on each side for 3-4 minutes or until cooked through, then move to a plate and cover with foil. Use the same pan and turn the heat on high and add the wine, let it simmer and cook for about a minute, stirring constantly to release the bits of bacon and chicken off the bottom of pan. Add beef stock and continue to cook together. In a separate bowl, whisk together cornstarch and warm water once you have a white liquid add 1 T of the mixture to the sauce stirring to combine. You may have to add more if you want your sauce thicker I ended up adding an additional teaspoon. Once you have a thin gravy pour into a bowl/cup and set aside. Should look something like this...

Add the butter to then pan, add onion, cook for about a minute, add mushrooms cook for a minute then add shallots and garlic and cook all together for 2-3 minutes, add the peas and cook for 1 more minute. At this point chop the bacon, slice the chicken into thin strips then add the rice, chicken and bacon back to the pan cover with your sauce and gently stir to combine. Season with Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper if you would like.

Weight Watcher Friends: This makes 5 servings and has 6 points each. Enjoy!!!

1 comment:

  1. Lauren
    I just recently found your website and made the chicken rice skillet tonight. It was so delicous my entire family loved it. It is definetly going into our rotations. I am always looking for easy weight watcher friendly meals. Thank you

    ReplyDelete