Share/Like This Post

Friday, January 20, 2012

Baked Ham and Cheese Roll-ups

These are super simple and very kid friendly! They are a great place to sneak in some healthy fats from ground flax. I have to admit these are not my favorite thing in the world (I'm a veggie girl) but my kids loved them so much that I thought I would share because every once in a while I have to make something that is all about them, right? Don't get me wrong they are a tasty little treat and make a great appetizer just not a full meal for the hubby. It's a good thing to make when he is out of town, although my husband actually really likes these so sometimes I make just a few of them as an app when we are having an Italian dinner night!

Ingredients:
12 String Cheese (I used the Weight Watcher brand)
12 deli ham slices
2 T egg whites
1 T water
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
2 T ground flax (I use Bob's)
1 t salt
Fresh cracked pepper to taste
Marinara sauce for dipping (I use my recipe here)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. I line a cookie sheet with foil and spray it with my Misto (do you have one of these??? If not, your should get one! You just fill it with olive oil and then pump to spray so you don't have to get a bunch of junk from the aerosol sprays)
Next, unwrap your cheese sticks, set out the ham, whisk together the egg whites and water in one bowl and gently mix together bread crumbs, flax, salt and pepper on a separate plate. To make this easy, set up your cheese, ham, egg wash and bread crumb mixture, to make an assembly line with your pan at the end. This just makes it easy to prep. 

Next, wrap a cheese stick in one slice of ham, lightly dip in egg wash, then roll in the bread crumb mixture. Place on the baking sheet about 1-2 inches apart. Finally, spray again with a light mist of olive oil spray to give them a gleam while they brown in the oven. Then bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown and the cheese is beginning to melt out of the edges. Take out of the oven and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes before you remove from the pan. Serve with steam veggies and a big salad for an easy dinner!
  

Weight Watcher Friends: If you use the Weight Watcher cheese sticks that only have 1 point then each roll-up is 2.5 points each. So two would be 5 points per serving. I cut mine up into bite sized bites and put on top of a large salad with some Italian dressing and it made a great salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment