Share/Like This Post

Monday, September 19, 2011

OMG...Mediterranean Meatballs

I am not really a "meat" girl, If you have followed this blog for any time you have probably noticed that I have a good deal of vegetarian recipes. Just the sound of a-ball-of-meat, never did much for me, until now! I have adapted this recipe from my friend Rebecca who makes all kinds of yummy little meatballs and loves them so I thought I should open my mind. These are so yummy they practically melt in your mouth, they are incredible. Even my little Elle who doesn't like meat, gobbled them up!



My Marinara:
3/4 T olive oil
1 onion diced small
3-4 cloves garlic (sliced or diced whichever you prefer)
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
fresh basil and parsley (as much as you like)
A few shakes of Garlic Garlic & Onion Onion
Salt and pepper to

Directions:
Heat sauce pan add oil and taste onion, saute the onion for about 2-3 minutes then add garlic (careful not to burn) simmer another 2 mins.  Add tomatoes, let simmer for about 5-7 mins then add salt, pepper and herbs, bring to a rolling simmer, then cover and turn to low and simmer for 30 minutes, while you make your meatballs.

Mediterranean Meatballs:
1 lb extra lean ground beef
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
3 T egg whites
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup feta cheese
1/4 cup onion, minced
1 T garlic, minced
1 t lemon zest
2-3 T fresh parsley
salt and pepper
2-4 shakes of Garlic Garlic (or just use garlic powder)
2-4 shakes of Onion Onion (or just use onion powder)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl, take off your rings and get your hands dirty. Mix together very well then form into balls. Spray a foil lined cookie sheet and place the meatballs about an inch apart and bake for 20-25 minutes.

Once the meatballs are finished, place in the sauce and let them simmer together for about 5 minutes. Then serve over spaghetti and top with fresh parm & feta.



Weight Watcher Friends:  The sauce has 1 point for 1 cup. The meatballs have 5-6 points for 3 meatballs (depending on the size). The night I made these I had it over a cup of whole grain pasta and it was an 11 point dinner. But the next day I had it as leftovers and served it over spaghetti squash which has 0 points, it was AMAZING and only had 6 points for practically the same meal!

Source: A Dash of Thyme

No comments:

Post a Comment