Share/Like This Post

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Homemade mmmmmm Marinara


Oh how I love homemade marinara! I used to cut corners on marinara and spaghetti sauces. I would buy a high end jar sauce and one day my sister-in-law said, why don't you just make your own? I thought about it and said, because it is so dang easy to open a jar...but she got me thinking and then I read the label of the jar sauce so I created this recipe and although it is easier to open a jar, this is SUPER easy and SO much yummier!!! It is worth the 5 minutes of prep time plus I just love knowing and being able to pronounce all the ingredients myself!

Ingredients:
1 t olive oil
1 onion, diced small
3-4 cloves garlic (sliced or diced whichever you prefer)
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
2 T fresh basil and parsley (or as much as you like)
A few shakes of Garlic Garlic & Onion Onion
Kosher Salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste

Directions:
Heat a sauce pan, add oil and onion, saute the onion for about 2-3 minutes then add garlic (careful not to burn) simmer another 2 mins.  Add tomatoes, let simmer for about 5 mins then add salt, pepper and herbs, bring to a rolling simmer, then cover and turn to low and simmer for 30 minutes.

I mean really, how easy was that??? Okay I know it isn't as easy as opening a jar but it almost is, and it really is so much better! You can always double this and freeze it :) Also be creative, if you love oregano or sugar in your sauce, add it and see how you like it. Lots of recipes call for sugar I think the tomatoes make it sweet enough and oregano is not my favorite spice so I don't add it but if you love them, then you should :) Enjoy!

Weight Watcher friends: I count this sauce as 1 point for 1 cup but really is it a little less than a point so eat it up and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment