Share/Like This Post

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Steak Fajita Quesadillas




Mexican, Mexican, Mexican food! Mmmmmm! I just love it! One reason I really love it is you can eat really powerful, delicious foods without a lot of calories and fat, if you choose wisely. My husband used to always say this about me... "She can turn any restaurant into a Mexican place!" I used to always order a grilled chicken salad (veggies only) with a side of beans (I would put on my salad) then use salsa for my dressing. Most basic restaurants have those ingredients, which makes a 6 point salad and it is really good! At home, I am always playing with foods and spices that are considered "Mexican" cilantro, lime, cumin, etc, I just love those bold flavors.

One night last week I had one extra strip steak left over that I had not cooked, some corn tortillas, peppers and onions and this turned out great!! These ingredients fed my family of four (two adults and two kids, 3 & 5) you may need more steak and veggies if you are feeding more people.


Ingredients:
1 steak (whatever you love/have)
1 bell pepper, sliced (whatever color you have on hand, I used red)
1 large onion, sliced
1 lime, juice and zest
1/2 cup of cheese (I used a shredded Monterrey Jack/Colby mixture)
1/2 cup of Charro beans
Salt and fresh cracked Pepper to taste
1 teaspoon olive oil

Directions:
Season steak, use salt, pepper, fresh lime juice and zest and let sit for a few minutes until you finish cooking the veggies. Heat a non-stick skillet with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil or non-stick spray if you would prefer. Add your onion and bell pepper and cook for about 3 minutes, season with salt and pepper, gently toss and move them to a plate, you don't want them mushy and they will continue to carry-over cook. Just set them aside and try not to eat them all :)



Then add the other 1/2 teaspoon of oil to your pan, turn up the heat and add your steak cook about 3 minutes per side then move it to a cutting board and let it rest for about 5 minutes. Then slice on the diagonal, against the grain.

I use corn tortillas, I love their flavor, they are gluten free and have less calories and more fiber than flour but they do need to be heated before using, in my opinion. I warm them for about 45 seconds per side in a non-stick skillet then make your quesadilla however you like, this one is the one I made for my kids to share.

Once you have all your toppings on it, then add the warmed top shell and be careful when you flip it, corn tortillas are not as sturdy as flour. Cook about 2 minutes per side until just browned. Then move them to a cutting board, let cool for a minute or two then cut them and serve the with my yummy Charros Beans and Mexican Lime Rice.


Weight Watcher Friends: The points for this one varies, depending on what you put on your quesdilla. Two corn tortillas have 2 points, you don't need much meat, I use about 2 oz, 2 points, then add tons of veggies, 0 points and then a few beans, 1 point and  1T of cheese, 1 point. The total is 6 points. Enjoy!

1 comment: