Share/Like This Post

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Chili with Butternut Squash

I love butternut squash, I eat it roasted all the time. I love the sweetness and texture of it! I have been wanting to make a chili with butternut squash for a while but knew my husband was not going to like it...he hates all squash, since my kids and I love it I usually make it and he just doesn't eat it. But I this afternoon I decided to send him a text to warn him of what I was going to make (just in case he felt the need to stop for a burger on his way home) it went like this:
Me: honey I'm just wondering if you are going to die a slow death if I make chili tonight with butternut squash in it? I really want to make it but don't want to listen to you moan about it.
Him: I'll be okay
So I went for it! Adding a hardy squash like butternut to a classic chili is great way to add sweetness to a savory dish and the bonus is it's a super healthy addition. I am so glad I made it because it was really delicious! Just in case you're wondering, he did eat it, but picked around the squash...when it comes to squash he is worse than a kid!!

Ingredients:
1lb lean ground beef (93% lean)
2 cups butternut squash, cubed
1 yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 14 oz can petite diced tomatoes
1 14 oz can light kidney beans, drained
2-3 t salt
2 t ground cumin
3 t chili powder
1 t onion powder
1 t garlic powder
fresh cracked pepper to taste
(If I would have had a green, red bell pepper I would have added that too)

Optional Toppings:
Grated cheese
Sour Cream
Diced red onion
Diced green onion
Frito's

Directions:
Using a large pot, brown the ground beef, drain if needed. Add onion (and pepper if you add it) and garlic, cook for 3 minutes, next add the butternut squash, continue to saute/cook for 3-5 minutes. Next add both cans of tomatoes and all the spices/seasonings. Stir to combine, cover and let cook on a low simmer for about 30 minutes.  Next, add beans and cook for another 10 minutes. Make sure you taste it, you may need more salt, cumin or chili powder. These are the amounts that made it taste good to my family, since my kids like to eat it I try not to make it too spicy; if I was only serve it to adults I would add more chili powder.
Weight Watcher Friends: This makes 8 servings each around 1.5 cups. Each serving has 5 points. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment