Share/Like This Post

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Coconut-Almond Macaroons

A dessert post, shocking, I know! I am not a huge macaroon person, my Grammy loved them, she died a month ago at the age of 90. I have been thinking of her a lot lately and she would have loved for me to bring these to her. I was flipping through the new Rachel Ray magazine and came across this and felt compelled to make them. It didn't hurt that they had such few ingredients and the recipe seemed like a cinch. Plus anytime I can find a gluten free recipe that is a dessert I am all in :) These were so easy it was ridiculous and my kids loved them!
My grandparents June and Burt Rose, I miss them so much!

Ingredients:
3 Egg Whites
1/4 t salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups Sweetened Coconut(recipe calls for shredded, I used shaved)
1 cup sliced almonds

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together egg whites and salt. Gradually add sugar continuing to whisk until thick and fluffy, about 2 minutes. I used my standing mixer for this with the paddle attachment on high and it worked great! Next fold in coconut and almonds. Drop rounded tablespoons onto a greased baking sheet and bake for 16-20 minutes. They burn fast so watch carefully after 16 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 1 minute before moving to a cooling rack.

My sweet boy was helping me in the kitchen today and he let me take his picture, big deal for me!

Adding the sugar here, not sure why but I just loved this picture, but I do.

After beating the egg whites, salt and sugar it should look like this.

After being folded together.

Little mounds of sweetness, now quick get them in the oven, but don't forget them!!!

They were great on day one and two but by day three they got chewy so eat them up!
Weight Watcher Friends: This recipe makes 20-22 macaroons they are 2 points a piece. I wish you luck eating just one :)

Source: Rachel Ray Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment